July 26, 2020.
Members acting Pro-Temp: (N/A) Guest(s): None Visitation: None
Roll Call (Secretary): ”*” indicates NOT in attendance. ** Absentee Members
Master: Dan Keeley Steward: JoAnn Keeley
Overseer: Don Sether * Asst. Steward: Mike Ellis * Pending Membership
Lecturer: Sandy Shew Lady Asst. Steward (LAS): Sandy Shew
Chaplain: Kathie Femrite Gatekeeper: Doug Femrite
Secretary: Betty Chipps Pomona: (vacant)
Treasurer: Vicki Pounds Ceres: Judi Aus *
Laura Ellis Pending Membership: Flora: (vacant)
Member: Ken Fessler *
Membership respectfully withdrawn: John Keeley Executive Committee
Members: Jack and Priscilla Weaver (Canby) ** #1 Vicki Pounds
Member: Adin Hester (California) ** #2 JoAnn Keeley
Member: Stacie Bernert (OR City) ** #3 Sandy Shew
Member: Joyce (Olivier) Urnaut (Sandy) ** Pending refers to Dues pmt
***** Members present: 7, Guests: 0, Youth: 0 ***** (Mandatory – Quorum “7”)
Thought for the month - JULY 2020
“We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it”. (William Faulkner)
PROPOSALS for MEMBERSHIP: (None)
Minutes from June 28, 2020 general meeting are in progress and will be emailed after the meeting, for member approval at the August meeting. (NOTE: emailed 7/29/20)
COMMUNICATIONS (Secretary) … see last page
SECRETARY Report (Betty Chipps)
Q2-2020 Quarterly (financial) Report (ended 6/30/2020):
- two (2) Regular meetings were held in the 2nd Quarter:
- advised Number of Members unpaid: 2
- Date Report approved: 7/26/2020
- answered: Have you completed the electronic 990-N (ePostcard) filing? YES
- Completed Form 990-N status “Accepted”.
The Q2-2020 Quarterly (financial) report, ended 6/30/2020, develops a Credit balance of $(256.37), made up of
- Dues for 17 total members (2 unpaid) for a payable of $191.25, and
- A Lifetime Membership Investment Fund credit of $447.62 (compared to $296.81 in the 2019 year).
Maplewood subordinate Grange Seal was affixed and Q2 report was signed by Secretary and Master, Dan Keeley.
TREASURER Report (Vicki Pounds)
Ending balance, as of July 26, 2020, in the Columbia Bank checking account is $11,715.89. (see report - below). Hearing no further concerns, report was “filed for audit.”
Maplewood Grange 662 Treasurer Report
Beginning Balance June 29, 2020
Rental Cancellation Refund
Grange Improvement Projects
Ending Balance July 26, 2020
- 2019 AUDIT REPORT (Dan Keeley, Kathie Femrite, Betty Chipps)
- 2nd Quarter-Quarterly Safety Inspection (Dan Keeley): Form was completed. Construction mess needs cleaned up was the primary comment..
HALL – Currently 2 rentals on the books for this fall and one party inquiring about using the kitchen (no frying but a lot of spices). Exhaust fan would be really good.
Additional Insured received from McBees - does not need a deep fat fryer, as they are making Indian food, but they want to use a propane grill.
PROJECTS - in priority order (Dan Keeley):
Dance hall seating upholstery stained, needs replaced - deferred until Covid resolved.
Foyer tile floor replacement – foyer completed, bathrooms tile sealing in progress, lower stairs completed, upper stairs need trim boards and all stairs need vinyl tread covers installed.
Handicap ramp to basement – Needs paint and trim, stair handrail pending
Sewer line needs replaced - Summer 2020 project (Note: across 99E - neighbor’s water is within level.)
** Sewer chosen as MATCHING GRANT project - Dan will prepare the GRANT Application.
Parking bumpers need anchored - Summer 2020 project
Ped path to front door needs pea gravel - Summer 2020 project
Dance hall floor will need re-oiled for 2020/2021
Roofing screws still pending
Kitchen needs exhaust fan
Need new rugs in front entry (inside and out)
Front doors are coming apart at bottom, need bolted and glued
Kitchen and dining hall floor needs refinished
AGRICULTURE: (Dan Keeley): Covid virus has disrupted meat exports, particularly to China, after earlier disruption caused by sick workers. Oregon has now authorized local meat packer inspection to bypass federal delays.
Harvest in full swing-please be patient with equipment operators, as hours are long and visibility is limited.
Product used on golf courses did NOT degrade in grass clippings - kills garden if mulch is used.
COMMUNITY SERVICE (JoAnn Keeley): PROJECT START RIGHT - can still send in your donation.
PORTLAND RESCUE MISSION - winter clothing being collected (downstairs).
Dan relayed: See your red cross chapter. Anyone who has recovered from the corona virus may be extremely valuable as a donor as preliminary data indicate antibodies in their blood serum are effective against the virus.
EDUCATION (Dan Keeley): Debate regarding opening schools for onsite instruction has gotten partisan, again, some more. Europe’s experience has been positive but other places have resulted in multiple infections and some fatalities. Seems to depend on how serious the combination of schools and communities are about infection control.
LEGISLATIVE (Dan Keeley): The redistricting measure (Initiative Petition #57) deadline was extended, though is way short of signatures ... initiative seeks to achieve balance between citizen groups and those in power. More info on Website: PeopleNotPoliciticiansOregon.com
Special session of Legislature was relatively productive, despite some complaints of railroading; most measures passed by large margins and complicated policy issues were largely deferred (to Regular Session), with the exception of police force regulations (occurred in Short Session).
MEMBERSHIP Report (Betty Chipps) … Excel schedule distributed - reflects 17 Total Members.
- Ken Fessler - check received (18-yr Member)
- Stacie Bernert - check received (23-yr Member)
- pending Laura/Mike Ellis - :L/M to call back (4th Yr Member)
At January’s meeting, we pledged (to OSG) to increase membership by two in 2020 and end the year with 20 members.
A motion was passed at the May 24th Grange meeting allowing the Grange to cover unpaid members, during this year of CoronaVirus (and financial struggles), thus keeping our membership status quo and granting grace to our standing members.
Betty moved that Maplewood Grange, this year, waive dues for Laura and Mike Ellis, ________ seconded, motion carries.
POMONA REPORT (Dan Keeley): Third quarter meeting happened yesterday via Zoom. Attendance was good, four resolutions were adopted (deadline August 18th).
Clackamas County Fair: has been CANCELLED - No cookie booth.
1. Treasurer - BILLS and RECEIPTS
- Vicki requested a check of $11 to purchase a book of Stamps (planning ahead should rentals pick up).
- Dan presented expenses totaling $187.30 for reimbursement: $138.30 Building Supplies, $49 Weebly website.
Betty moved to approve the bills, Kathie seconded, motion carries (VSO).
2. Elect Subordinate/Community Grange Delegates to attend State Convention (due to OSG by SEPT 1st).
JoAnn nominated Betty Chipps as 2nd Delegate at the State Grange Convention (purpose: allows voting at OR Convention) ... paperwork to be completed.
3. MATCHING GRANT offered by OSG (deadline Sept 1st): Should Maplewood apply?
In that Maplewood was a Matching Grant recipient last year, Dan checked with OSG to confirm our 2020 qualification. Yes, we can apply, however, first priority is given to “not-previously-applied” applications.
After review/discussion of outstanding ‘projects,’ it was decided that the Sewer Line (leaky pipe) would be our grant proposal.
4. RESOLUTION #2 - deadline August 15th (Dan Keeley):
Be it resolved: That the Oregon State Grange supports the work of the Task Force and the concept of Universal Health Care for Oregon, subject to development of a fair, reasonable and affordable program confirmed by a vote of the people.
Betty moved to approve Maplewood Resolution #2 and forward to the State Session, _______seconded, motion carries.
GOOD TO THE ORDER: Kathie will measure and purchase (at Canby Builders) the ramp skid-tread at rear of the building.
NEXT Maplewood Meeting: SUN, AUGUST 23, 2020 - Maplewood Grange at 4:30pm.
Meeting was adjourned, by Dan Keeley, at 5:30 pm.
Betty Chipps, Secretary
>>>UPCOMING EVENTS - as Reported on CLACKAMAS POMONA GRANGE website <<<
- Membership Meeting August 14 at 7:00 p.m. via Zoom. Contact Ed Luttrell if you desire to join the meeting.
- Oregon State Grange Session September 17 to 20 in Klamath Falls (OSG details below)
- Degree Day September 20 at TBA
- Fifth Degree September 26 at Molalla Grange
- Pomona Grange Meeting October 24 at Frogpond Grange
>>>>Communication from OREGON STATE GRANGE<<<<
- July 9, 2020 Correspondence from OSG-Master, Susan Noah:
State Session - Klamath Falls, SEPT 17 (Thurs) - SEPT 20 (Sun)
IF still shutdown by COVID19 restrictions...
Then “Virtual” Mtg requires PRE-REG Credentials (see below deadline).
- Resolutions by AUG 18th
- Memorial Report (deceased since last State Convention) - applies to Adult, Youth, etc. former State Delegates - deadline SEPT 1st.
- Master & 2nd Delegate(s) PRE-REG (fee $5/person) CREDENTIALS due by SEPT 1st
(Affix Seal) … along with “Just-in-Case” Email addresses for Delegates
GRANGE MAIL (Betty Chipps)
Picked up 7/9/20
- Additional Insured Declaration from STATE FARM in behalf of McBee Farms - delivered to Dan 7/13/20.
(dba: Beathan FA, 23875 Klupenger Road NE, Aurora, OR)