Don Sether, called the meeting to order at 4:40pm with the "Opening of the Grange" ritual.
- Gavel information (for new officers): 1 rap = opened, 2 raps = Officers rise, 3 raps = all rise
Members acting Pro-Tem: Master, Don Sether; Overseer, Vicki Pounds; Steward, Don Sether; Assistant Steward, Felipe Gonzalez
The following Guest(s) present: (none) Visitation: (none)
Roll Call (Secretary): ”*” indicates NOT in attendance. ** Absentee Members Master: Dan Keeley * Steward: Felipe Gonzalez
Overseer: Don Sether Asst. Steward: Mike Ellis * Lecturer: Sandy Shew * Lady Asst. Steward: Katie Gonzalez
Chaplain: Kathie Femrite Gatekeeper: JoAnn Keeley *
Secretary: Betty Chipps Pomona: Sandy Shew *
Treasurer: Vicki Pounds Ceres: Judi Aus *
Member: Laura Ellis * Flora: (vacant)
Member: John Keeley * Executive Committee
Members: Jack and Priscilla Weaver (Canby ) ** #1 Felipe Gonzalez
Member: Joyce (Olivier) Urnaut (Sandy) ** #2 JoAnn Keeley *
Member: Jo Ann Lee (OR City) ** #3 Sandy Shew *
Member: Adin Hester (California) **
Member: Stacie Bernert (OR City) **
***** Roll call has been taken =============================================================================
***** Members present: 6, Guests: 0, Youth: 0 ***** (Mandatory – Quorum “7”)
PROPOSALS for MEMBERSHIP: (none)
MINUTES (Secretary): 01/28/18 Minutes - not available...Highlights read
Clackamas Pomona #1 - 02/24/18 POMONA "5th Degree Ceremony" hosted at Maplewood Grange
- Suzy Ramm, OSG Editor: Clackamas/Pomona FACEBOOK Flyer...web-page is "ACTIVE"
Oregon State Grange (OSG): FEB/MAR 2018 Bulletin - mailed directly to membership.
- Correspondence from Susan Noah, OSG Master
Don Sether - Grange-Up 2017 update: 800 members were gained in 2017.
(INFO: Don has been a Grange State Officer for 22 years)
SECRETARY Report: No (additional) report
TREASURER Report (Vicki Pounds):
- Members present at the January 2018 meeting elected "Active Members" would pay their own 2018 Dues.
- Checking account beginning balance: $9,053.38, ending balance: $8,814.01
OLD BUSINESS (Betty Chipps)
Grange-Up 2018: Idea presented at January 28th meeting:
- INVITE: Veterans in the community to Maplewood Grange i.e. Aurora VFW & Canby VFW
UNFINISHED BUSINESS (Don Sether)
1. Building Siding: Betty to email Dan Keeley and confirm OSG Matching Grant application for Siding and Insulation has been mailed (deadline: May EOM?).
2. Ballroom: Floor oil application is a warmer/summer weather project.
3. Roof Repair - (replacing short screws with longer ones) project still pending.
AGRICULTURE (Dan Keeley - absent): Don Sether reported:
- Christmas Tree lots were out-of-business in 2016, in 2017 sales were up: 1-1/2 times greater than 2016.
- Filbert price may drop to under $1 for "merchandisable nuts."
COMMUNITY SERVICE (JoAnn Keeley - absent): Betty Chipps reported it's not too late to donate to the Blanket and Clothing Drive.
EDUCATION (Dan Keeley- absent): Don Sether reported the Future Farmers of America (FFA) started in the Grange - though under a different name.
Grange Worker's Activities (GWA): (vacant)
HALL - Rentals (Dan Keeley - absent): see "New Business"
LEGISLATIVE (Dan Keeley- absent): Don Sether reported the Legislative Session is meeting in Salem. They are strategizing ways to bring in more income: i.e. increasing gas tax and vehicle registration fees.
LECTURER (Sandy Shew - absent ): Felipe and Katie Gonzalez enjoyed the interactive Plant Display (from a couple meetings ago). Both JoAnn Keeley and Felipe are interested in Gardening.
MEMBERSHIP (Betty Chipps): On February 11th, Betty attended Clarkes Grange Breakfast and the " Membership Recruiting/Team-Building" seminar, taught by Ed Luttrell. Highlights included:
- The "comfort-zone" of your Grange should be "welcoming."
- Let the memberships' positive spirits "build a fire." Find a way to let them run with their ideas.
- INVITE (outsiders), ASK "what are their interests, and LISTEN (find commonness in what they say).
VETERANS (Sandy Shew-absent): Betty Chipps indicated at the Astoria State Meeting a "free" tour to Veterans of the Air Museum (US Coast Guard) is offered on June 23rd (leaving Clatsop County Fairgrounds) at 12:30pm. Contact the Veterans Committee - James Clute in advance for reservations.
YOUTH (Betty Chipps): No report
Treasurer - Bills/Receipts: none submitted
HALL - Rental:
1. Betty Chipps presented Dan Keeley's email of February 12th:
Claudia Zamora, Maplewood renter, will hold a Zumba class two days/week. She has only 4-5 students enrolled, so far - which is a slow start. Dan would like to offer Claudia the first month of classes at no-charge (aids in getting started), then charge $150/beginning the 2nd month - working into higher rent if she is successful.
Claudia has also expressed interest in being a member.
Vicki Pounds broke down the proposal: 2-days/week = minimum hall use of 8 days/month, and compared the proposed $150 rental to Chaps and Petticoats Square Dancers monthly rent of $120 for the hall used 2-days/month ... equates to quite a break in daily use costs. After further discussion, we encouraged the contract reference an agreed-upon increase beginning 3rd month.
Betty Chipps moved to offer Claudia Zamora, Zumba Instructor, one-month rent-free, $150/2nd month rent and contract review upon 3rd month - Don Sether seconded, motion carried, voting sign-of-the order.
GOOD to the ORDER: (none)
Next Meeting: (tentatively SUNDAY, 3/25/17- 3:30pm Potluck, 4:30pm Meeting)
Meeting Adjourned: With "Closing of the Grange" ritual at 5:15pm.
P.S. The March 25, 2017, Meeting was cancelled.