Aurora, ORTuesday, 02/28/2016
The regular meeting of Maplewood Grange #662 was held on the above date. The Grange opened, with potluck at 3:30 PM; the meeting was called to order, by Dan Keeley, at 4:50 PM.
Guest(s) present: Don Kingsborough, Pomona Grange Steward Visitation: None
Roll Call: (Secretary) : “*” indicates NOT in attendance.
Master: Dan Keeley Steward: Ken Fessler
Treasurer: Kathie Femrite Chaplain: Scott Tiedtke *
Secretary: Betty Chipps Executive Committee #1: (vacated by Don Sether 1/26/16)
Member: Vicki Pounds
Pomona: Sandy Shew Ceres: Judi Aus *
****** Members present: 6, Guests: 1, Youth: 0 ****** (Mandatory – Quorum “7”)
Members acting Pro-Tem: (none)
Minutes of the January 26, 2016 meeting, were not yet available; Betty will present for approval next meeting.
Proposals for Membership: (none)
Standing Committees Reports:
- Legislative: Dan Keeley reported the Legislature is in session in Salem. The minimum wage initiative is going to hurt farmers – fewer hires will likely result. Current bill is $15/hr. minimum wage, $13.50 in suburbs.
- Women’s Activities: (Unassigned)
- Youth: Dan was expecting Kathleen Mason, Aurora Historical Society, would visit this meeting to present a youth cook-off challenge to take place at the Aurora Colony Days on Saturday, August 13, 2016. Youth would choose a recipe from the Aurora Colony Cookbook and enter cook-off contest. Aurora is willing to offer Scholarships to youth.
- Membership: Dan reported Laura Ellis, of Mt. Hope Farms, and Grange renter, has expressed interest in becoming a Grange member.
Other Standing Committees:
- Agriculture (Ken Fessler): Dan reported the bargaining price for Hazelnuts has increased, up from $1.10 to $1.50/lb for whole nuts.
- Custodian: (Dan Keeley)
- Furnace is due for safety check – approximately $100 to inspect. Sandy Shew recommended Mr. Renhart (sp.) of S & J, Canby – she strongly suggests we not use Roth’s Heating and Cooling. Another suggestion was Scott Hess, contractor in Silverton.
- Refrigerator status: RH one makes noise, LH one is owned by Scott Tiedtke. Dan asked shall we get a new refrigerator? Ken Fessler recommends continue using what we have until Scott removes his.
- Paint, upstairs, needs a touch-up due to masking tape used on walls (poster tape use is OK). Dan located the paint and will do the needed patch work on walls.
- Sandy Shew asks if we need to spruce-up the Grange before the March 6th State Meeting (from 10 AM- 3 PM)? Don Kingsborough suggests we stand ready to set-up six different stations – where each District Chair can have a location: Customer Service, Education, Legislature, Resolution Writing, Veterans, Youth (and Junior). Dan Kelley advised State is paying ahead for attendees, so Grange food served is the plan.
- Education (Dan Keeley): PERS is being negotiated. Schools spend approximately 80 of money on personnel; proposing 1/3 of salary for PERS benefit.
- Hall Rental (Dan Keeley): Renters: 1. Canby Telephone, Tuesday, March 1st afternoon, presenting fiber-optic proposal. 2. Debbie Headerly (sp.) was in building last week. 3. Astella Clores will be in building May 7th - $100 check received. Also Model-T group checking on available spaces for 2-day rentals.
- Fund Raiser (Scott Tiedtke):
- FFA Scholarship Committee (Judi Aus, & Dan Keeley) Opens each January month.
- (FRI) February 21 & (SAT) February 22, 2016 Springwater Grange Dinner Theater
(contact: Barb MacKinnon)
- (FRI) March 18, 2016 Molalla Grange honors “First Responders” – Speghetti Dinner 5:30-7:30pm
- (TUES) April 12, 2016 Beavercreek Grange “Cornbeef & Cabbage Dinner” and Meeting 4-7pm
Oregon State Grange
- Oregon State Grange BULLETIN, February/March 2016
Clackamas County Pomona District#1: 2016 ROSTER (circulated to members in attendance)
Dan Keeley: 2016 Oregon State Grange communication word(s):
Adult Grangers: “GENEROUS”, Youth Grangers: “PATIENCE”
Secretary (Betty Chipps):
Treasurer (Kathie Femrite):
Bills: INFO: Normal operating expenses paid, without a monthly motion.
Treasurer report was presented covering the period 1/26 – 2/28/16. Transactions included three rental receipts totaling $860, two regular disbursements PGE and Canby Disposal paid $234.76, three rental deposit refunds totaled $450, State Grange 4th Qtrly Report paid $225, expense reimbursement to Dan Keeley was $145.42 and Wilco (fuel) $161.19 equaled total expenses of $1,216.37 for a net ending balance of $6,942.16.
Bill payments held for next meeting approval, pending a membership quorum, include: Wilco Farmers (fuel) $159.74 and expense reimbursement to Dan Keeley of $10.99 (light bulbs).
Reminder: Maplewood Granges hosts the State Grange Conference on March 6, 2016 beginning 10 AM – 3 PM.
- Don Kingsborough announced the Clackamas County Legislative Candidate Forum, hosted by the Clackamas County Pomona Grange, will meet April 30th at the Maplewood Grange; approximately seven-eight candidates will be present Speghetti dinner will be served (by the Clackamas County Pomona Grange youth) 4:30 – 5:30pm, Candidate introductions beginning 6:00pm. At 6:15pm Candidates will present their platforms.
Advertising: Susan Graham will place Candidate Forum into Phamplin Canby paper. Other posts will be Cable station in Canby and Chamber of Commerce. Members welcome to email Flyers also.
Don requests questions/concerns, to be addressed to the candidates, be written and emailed to Don Kingsborough.
i.e. What is window of time required for applying for Business Permit and getting approval?
i.e. Kurt Schrader: can you respond to _______? (or) address written request to all candidates.
Potential controversies: Land Use Regulations and 80-Acre minimum State zoning, Stafford Triangle, Damascus,
Urban Containment Line, LUBA (Land Use Board of Appeals) deal cut with Metro-Urban boundaries, Urban Timber Bill (wine industries can purchase trees for barrels). Who enforces Marijuana Zoning?
Betty asked: Is the Grange aware that a mini-sawmill will be our new neighbors (at the former RV sales site to our eastside)?
Other New Business:
- Spring cleaning of Grange was calendared for: Saturday, April 2nd, beginning 9:00 AM.
- Dan Keeley asked: Do we take down the Signs (out front) advertising 4th Tuesday Grange Meeting (or) replace?
- Sandy Shew advised outside lights, at back corner of Grange, are not bright.
Committee on Relief – (Sick and Distressed): (none)
Dan Keeley presented handout: WHADAYA GET?
What do you get for just showing up...possibilities are endless!
Good to the Order
Don Kingsborough, District IV Legislative Chairman invites Maplewood members to:
Oregon State Grange Annual Convention: June 18-23, 2016, Talent, OR (5th/6th Degrees ceremony on Sunday)
Grange meeting adjourned by Dan Keeley at 6:20pm and the Grange was closed.
Next Grange meeting: Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 2:00pm
Betty Chipps, Secretary